May 10, 2010

On and off the wagon

This past weekend was the Curve Home Run 5k Race at the Blair County Ball Park and Lakemont Park. All the participants got a free ticket to the Curve game that evening and the overall winners got to throw out one of the first pitches. It sounded like a fun event for members of our running club to do. So after at least a year of all of us trying to get Kevin to run in any race, he finally decided to do one. It had been 4 years since he last ran in a race, so I was looking forward to the kids seeing Daddy doing something that had been such a huge part of his life, he loved doing, and was really good at. Even though he may not admit it, I know he was nervous since it had been 4 years since he ran a race. In spite of the fact that he doesn't have as much time to run as he once did, Kevin was able to go out and win the race.  Congrats to all who ran. Here are the results. Unfortunately, the weather was not on our side, so the kids and I ended up staying home. Hopefully, he'll decide to do another race this summer and we can watch Daddy run in that one. I'm also trying to convince him to run the Great Race, so we'll see how that goes. No matter what, I am very proud of him and can't wait to actually see him race since I love to watch him run. Since Kevin won the 5k, he got to throw out a first pitch at the game. Below is a picture from that. It's a little blurry since I was trying to wrangle both kids and take the picture. The very tall guy behind him is the actor Quinton Aaron from The Blind Side.

We also got to take a family picture at the game. It was very cold and windy, which is easy to see by the look on Maddie's face.
So Kevin got back on the wagon this weekend and I sort of fell off. I think it was a combination of being busy, tired, and just wanting to be lazy yesterday, but I haven't run since Thursday. Plus with first Friday and going to the Curve game, we really didn't eat very healthy either. I must say I definitely feel the effects from not running and eating too much pizza...I feel like a slug (as Kevin often says when he hasn't run in a while). It's not a good feeling, so today I'm getting back on the wagon. I've already done my circuit training and will be going out for a run when Kevin gets home from work. I know that when I go back to work in a month it will be a lot harder to make sure I get ample exercise in. I really need to use the next few weeks to get into a good routine that I can keep up exercising either before or after work.

No comments:

Post a Comment