Jul 29, 2012

Bum, bum, bah bum, bum....

Ah, the iconic beats and horns for the Olympic Fanfare. There is something about that song and sound that I absolutely love. Yeah, I am an Olympics-aholic. I love watching all the events and hearing all the stories about the athletes. Kevin isn't a huge fan of the events that are determined by judges, but I will watch them all. So, for the next two weeks the Olympic coverage will be all that is on TV. When track and field (or athletics) starts on August 3rd...we will be glued to the TV! 


Unfortunately, we learned today that Desiree Devila will not be able to compete in the marathon in London due to an injury. It is always great to see runners that Kevin has a connection to competing at the highest levels. We'll still be cheering on the USA runners. This year, we'll also be cheering for Reid Coolsaet from Canada in the Men's Marathon. He was one of the groomsmen, along with Kevin, in a wedding for friends of ours. Plus, Kevin did run races against him years ago.


It was week 8 of the CSA and we got one of my favorites in the box - sweet corn! We also got eggplant this week. I used that and the zukes to make a vegetable lasagna where the veggies replaces the noodles. I also made my own sauce for the lasagna. It was a whole lot of work, but incredibly good. Maybe I'll make it again if we get more...but I'd also be ok with making eggplant parmesan too. 









WEEK 8
Carmen Peppers (sweet Italian) 
Corn 
Cucumbers 
Eggplant 
Head Lettuce 
Red Onions  
Salad Mix 
Squash 
Tomatoes














It was a good week of training. My mileage is picking up with longer workouts and weekend long runs. I ended up doing my long run at the Run with the Deer Fly 15k trail run. It was an incredibly challenging run, but a lot of fun! Here is a link to the race from my Garmin. I don't think it quite does the course justice. I tacked on a little at the end to bring my daily total to 10.60 miles instead of 11. 


Day 1 (M) - 5.04 miles in 43:22, mid 3 miles @ faster 
Day 2 (T) - 3.53 miles in 31:39, plus 8 striders up my road
Day 3 (W) - 6 miles in 50:38 with negatives splits for 2 mile segments - 1st 2: 17:34, 2nd 2: 16:41, 3rd 2: 16:21
Day 4 (R) - Off day due to thunderstorms in the morning and evening
Day 5 (F) -  3.13 miles in 26:22
Day 6 (S) - Rest Day with a walk with Maddie & watching Kev/Dad win the 5K
Day 7 (S) - Run with the Deer Flies 15K in 1:35:47, plus a little extra



That brings the total this week to 28.3 miles in 4:18:50. Kevin also got in a good week. His long run yesterday consisted of running 9ish miles, winning the Homecoming 5K (and a pie!), and then running another 5 miles to finish the day at 17 miles. For the week he ended up running 53.5 miles.


Enjoy watching the Summer Olympics! We certainly will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment