Feb 27, 2011

I conquered one of the three terrors of the fire swamp

Whoa, two posts in one day? I can barely manage two in a month and here I go with two in a day? But I digress...

For two of the half marathons I have run, I used Hal Higdon's Intermediate training plan. For the Pittsburgh Half in May I decided it was time to move to the Advanced training plan. I am by no means an advanced runner, but I wanted something that would challenge me more and push me to train harder than I have before. Today was one of the first steps in this challenge.

In the past, I have taken a rest day after my long run day. Yesterday was my long run and it was the furthest I have run in over two months. In the past, I would get to relax and rest my weary bones and muscles today. After running 9.6 miles yesterday, I needed to get in 3 miles. I felt pretty good, so I thought how hard could this be. Oh how naive of me. Those first few steps were painful. And that first mile I felt like I was running through lightning sand in the fire swamp (hoping to never encounter the flame spurts or R.O.U.S's...especially on the trail once it's passable again). Anyway, I continued on my way and finished those 3 (well I ended up at 3.2) miles. Even though I wanted to turn back before I was even at the end of my road (we're talking a whole 0.03 miles here), I kept going. No doubt this will make me a stronger runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment