Aug 18, 2011

I'm Gonna Try

I just saw the trailer for the new movie I Don't Know How She Does It starring SJP based on a book by Allison Pearson. Trailer for the Movie, although I liked the one I saw on TV better.

The short synopsis is that it's about Kate Reddy a manager of a hedge fund with two small children and how she juggles life. I really hope it's a worthwhile flick to see. I can completely relate to working full time, but at the same time spending as much time as you can with your kids, having a relationship with your husband, trying to keep your house in some semblance of order, and fitting in a few moments for yourself to exercise or read or do a hobby or just decompress. It is a juggle and there are times when I just want to crawl back under the covers and hide. I don't, of course, and try everyday to be the best mom, wife, engineer, etc that I can.

There was a quote at the end of the trailer that made me think...Kate is talking to her husband Richard (presumably after a difficult time in their marriage) and she says, "Me without that job isn't me, but also me without you and Ben and Emily is nothing." I like what I do (if I didn't like getting to work at 3:45 am some days, I would have found a new job by now) and it's definitely a huge part of who I am. But, at the end of the day (and many times in the beginning too), there is no place I would rather be then at home with Kevin and the kiddos. I think being away from Kevin and the kids all day makes me really appreciate the time we do have together. There is certainly a balance that has to be worked on to have the career and the family too. So far, I think we are doing a pretty good job at it.

The song that they played at the end of the trailer - Sabrina Starke - A Woman's Gonna Try is awesome. I love Sabrina Starke's voice. The song is upbeat and has a wonderful message. I think it's a great sentiment for kids, family, life, and even work. When ever there is love involved, I'll try and do whatever it takes.  I may make mistakes, but I'm still gonna try.

Since the movie doesn't come out until September, I am thinking about picking up the book to read. Let's face it, it's not like I would actually go to the theater. The last movie I saw in a theater was The Departed and that was released in 2006. Plus books are usually better than the movie anyway. The reviews for the book are good, although there were a lot of complaints about the ending...that it was wrapped up too nicely. Isn't that what we want though? After a tough day or week of craziness, it would be nice for things to wrap up nicely with a happy ending. True, it doesn't always happen like that in real life, but books and movies are a way to escape real life, so I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment